Relaxing in any country in the world is not only about positive emotions. There are things that you may not know or consider until you visit a country. Let me tell you about 5 advantages that will definitely make your vacation unforgettable, and 5 cons of traveling to Maldives that won’t ruin it, but some aspects may put a damper on it.
It will be difficult for you to plan your dream trip to Maldives without these websites
Table of Contents
5 drawbacks of vacationing in the Maldives
Let’s start with the drawbacks of Maldives, but there are no critical ones that could make you cancel your vacation in the Maldives. Most of the drawbacks can be prepared for in advance and smoothed out upon arrival in the country. With proper preparation, these drawbacks will pass you by.
- Alcohol is completely prohibited in the country. It cannot be found on local islands at all, even for money. Nowhere. The limit for bringing alcohol into the country is 0 liters. Anything found will be confiscated, and they search thoroughly. Alcohol is only available on closed resort islands, where package tourists fly.
- A comprehensive article about alcohol in the Maldives: where it can be found, how much it costs, and how to bring your own. The main thing is to prepare well at home, and everything will be fine.
- Complicated transportation between islands for those who want to save money. More details in the article: transportation in the Maldives or how to get around between islands. But in brief:
- Ferries are cheap (2-5$ ticket), but they run at best once a day, and not every day.
- Hydroplanes and speedboats are fast and expensive. But some people manage to spend an amount equal to a aircraft ticket from home city on a trip from Male airport to their island and back.
- Don’t forget that no transport between islands runs during the dark hours, even for large sums of money. If you arrive in Male in the evening, you lose almost a day of vacation.
- Friday is a day off here. Stores are closed, and transport doesn’t run. This doesn’t apply to package tourists who arrive on a tour, as they will be met at the airport on Friday. But for independent tourists, it’s important not to buy plane tickets that arrive and depart on Friday.
- How to get to the Maldives inexpensively and what to pay attention to.
- And remember: if you arrive in Male on Thursday evening, there’s a chance you’ll get stuck in this city until Saturday.
- The Ultraviolet Index (UV Index). The Maldives are free of dangerous animals, insects, snakes, and predators, and there’s no need to fear sharks as they don’t inhabit areas that are dangerous to humans. However, tourists should be wary of the UV Index, as the country is located on the equator, where the sun can be lethal, especially for those who have just arrived. Sunburn can occur in as little as 15 minutes. I personally know of cases where tourists had to be rushed to the hospital in Male on the second day.
- All of the dangers in the Maldives, including what tourists should be aware of, are explained in detail, including the UV Index.
One of the least obvious drawbacks:Whether you’re on a local island or a resort, active tourists may find the Maldives somewhat boring. The activities and entertainment options are limited to snorkeling, diving, and lounging on the beach all day. The islands are tiny, and there are no mountains, waterfalls, interesting treks, cool landmarks, nightlife, shopping, or malls. It’s just you, the island, and the ocean.
5 advantages of traveling to Maldives
Now, let’s move on to the positives, which more than make up for the negatives.
- The Maldives offer year-round summer, water that is +30 degrees Celsius, white sandy beaches, palm trees, and turquoise waters just like in the photos. This picturesque scene can be found on almost any island.
- There’s nowhere richer in marine life than the Maldives, not even in Egypt or the Caribbean. The underwater creatures that you’ve only seen on National Geographic documentaries on TV will be swimming just 50 meters from your beach. These include sharks, manta rays, turtles, rays, and thousands of fish.
- All about snorkeling in Maldives
- Excellent and delicious cuisine that is familiar to our tourists, but with plenty of fish, seafood, and healthy ingredients. The food is not spicy like in Asia, and there are no or almost no specific spices like in India. The desserts made from palm heart are very delicious, and the main dish is grilled seafood.
- Absolutely safe anywhere at any time. There’s no pushy service, persistent excursion sellers, or overcharging in stores. Everywhere you’ll be genuinely welcomed.
- They don’t steal in the Maldives. As the locals say, the only thing tourists should be wary of is other tourists.
Another advantage of vacationing in the Maldives is a rare natural phenomenon:There are very few places in the world where you can experience this – glowing plankton. Without words, take a look at the photo below. More about this in the article: Maldives at Night.
Here’s the bottom line: I want to convey one idea and I’ll try to articulate it properly.
Good to know:All the drawbacks that people write about the Maldives are not really drawbacks if you know about them in advance and prepare accordingly. In this case, the principle of “forewarned is forearmed” applies. And the complex transportation between the islands should be carefully considered before buying plane tickets, so that your journey can go smoothly without any hiccups.
In conclusion, I hope that the pros and cons of vacationing in the Maldives have given you an idea of what it’s really like, a heaven on earth that everyone talks about. For many, a vacation in the Maldives remains one of the best places on earth in memory. And I agree with them – the Maldives are not just an ocean, palm trees, and a beach, it’s also manta rays, turtles, sharks, and luminous plankton.
Wishing you an unforgettable vacation without any drawbacks!
Resources to help you plan your dream trip to the Maldives