An article for those who are currently choosing a destination for their future vacation and are having trouble deciding. Is the Maldives worth visiting? What are the vacation trends there? What can you expect from a vacation in the Maldives? There will be many hidden obstacles that may not be immediately apparent.
It will be difficult for you to plan your dream trip to Maldives without these websites
Table of Contents
Resorts in the Indian Ocean
There is an unofficial ranking of the top four resorts in the Indian Ocean. All four resorts are simply magical and dreamy, with white sand, warm oceans, millions of palm trees, and turquoise waters. Moreover, they are all located in the same area, tropical islands where it is summer all year round. Many people dream of visiting all of them.
These are the resorts in the Indian Ocean:
- Zanzibar Island in Tanzania
- Mauritius Island
Interesting to know:At first glance, they may seem similar and have a lot in common, but there are noticeable differences in the vacation experience. If you have not yet decided on your vacation destination, this article will be helpful in determining which is better for you: Maldives, Seychelles, Zanzibar, or Mauritius. It covers the pros and cons of each resort, so all you need to do is choose what is best for you.
And to be clear, it cannot be said with certainty that a vacation in the Maldives is better than in other resorts. Each vacation is unique and has its own differences. The Maldives is not the only paradise on earth. For example, below is a photo of Mauritius without filters.
What to expect on a vacation in the Maldives: Travel trends
Now let me tell you what you can expect from a vacation in the Maldives, and I will try to give you a realistic picture of it.
Here are the key points that you need to know and that will form the basis of your vacation:
- The Maldives consists of approximately 1200 islands.
- An island of 2 by 2 km is considered a large island here.
- There are no mountains, rivers, lakes, or jungles. You should not expect any land-based activities here; they simply do not exist. Yoga is the only active sport here.
- However, the lack of land-based activities is fully compensated for by the water-based activities. The underwater world here is so rich that you will not find anything like it on any other resort. It is precisely for the underwater world that you should come here. Without special equipment, you can find here:
- Manta rays
- Bioluminescent plankton, which is extremely rare to find anywhere else on Earth.
- For more information about the diversity of the underwater world in the Maldives, and why tourists flock here, read this comprehensive article.
What kind of vacation in the Maldives?100% beach. You must know how to lie on the beach all day, active tourists will find it boring here. Of all the activities on the islands, daily snorkeling, diving, and fishing are available. That’s pretty much it. There are no evening activities, discos, or clubs in the Maldives. People come here for a peaceful and serene vacation. You must love water and swim a lot since there are no other activities.
By the way, the ocean water is warmed up to +30°C, and you can sit in it for hours. It’s impossible to get kids out of the water. Read a detailed article about the peculiarities of vacationing with children in the Maldives.
How many days do you need in the Maldives?
It’s a very common question people ask me. There is no definite answer, but I’ll try to formulate a thought, and I hope you understand it.
All the islands are very small, and you can completely explore each one of them and see every corner on the first day. On the 3rd-4th day, you’ll swim all around the reef of the island and know every turtle on the house reef. Then buy a couple of diving trips, an excursion at sunrise to swim with manta rays, and also with sharks. By the way, there are no sharks that can attack humans in the Maldives. That’s pretty much it.
Author’s personal opinion (mine):How many days do you need in the Maldives? One week! 7 days are more than enough to live in paradise and try all the activities and entertainment that are available here. After that, nothing new will happen, and it will be boring.
One advantage for those tourists who are staying in closed resort islands is that they have alcohol. It’s a huge plus for this type of vacation. However, for independent travelers who go to local islands, there will be no alcohol. It is prohibited in the Maldives, and you cannot buy it anywhere.
If you can live a happy and fulfilling life without alcohol, I envy you, and you are awesome. It will be easier for you in the Maldives. But I can’t do without it; I need at least a couple of cans of beer a day and a martini for my wife, but you can’t find any of that here, even for money.
Two useful articles on this topic:
- Resort islands or local islands, what’s the difference, and which is better.
- Everything about alcohol in the Maldives: where to buy it, how to transport it.
For independent travelers (non-package):The most important advice – change islands, don’t stay in one place. If you have purchased tickets to the Maldives for 2 weeks, you can easily relax on three different islands for 4-5 days each. This is much more interesting and diverse. On one island, turtles live right next to the beach, sharks come every evening to the second one, and there is bioluminescent plankton on the third island in the evenings. The chance to meet all marine inhabitants is much higher than spending all 14 days on one beach of a small island.
Vacation in the Maldives: price for two
This is also a very common question from tourists. And here, like with a car: from $100 to a million. A vacation in the Maldives can be very budget-friendly if you organize everything yourself and go to relax on local islands. And it can also be very expensive if you buy a package tour to a luxurious resort hotel.
Very general amounts for 10 days of vacation for two:
- Independent travelers who go to local islands can do it without any problems in $1500 + tickets. Tickets are a separate painful topic, air travel is expensive today, but you can still buy them for $1500 for two.
- Moreover, my wife and I ourselves relax much cheaper than this amount in the Maldives, without limiting ourselves in anything. And I know many tourists like this. If someone thinks that the Maldives is a resort for millionaires, this is a big misconception.
- But package tours to resort islands are expensive and very expensive. This is the vacation of the rich that we constantly hear about. A tour for two for 10 days on all-inclusive on a private island where locals do not live can cost $5,000 and $10,000.
Details on cost of vacation in the Maldives for two, on expenses, how much accommodation, food, transfers between islands cost, in the article by the link.
Travel tips: is the Maldives worth visiting?
is the Maldives worth visiting? The answer is definitely Yes. There is no other place like it for a vacation. Yes, there are drawbacks such as small islands, complex and expensive transportation between islands, no alcohol, no nightlife, and entertainment. But all of this is more than compensated for by the picture on the beach that will be before your eyes and the underwater world that you will encounter just 10 meters from the shore. There aren’t many places in the world where you can swim with mantas in the open ocean for just $20.
In conclusion, a vacation in the Maldives is the dream of many, and this country will not disappoint you. The main thing is to choose the right resort, as not every island is suitable for a vacation, but that’s a whole different story. Should you visit the Maldives? Definitely yes. If you love a peaceful beach vacation, one island will be more than enough.
If you’re an active tourist, plan a route so that you can stay on different islands during your vacation. This guide has specific recommendations, or you can write in the comments and I’ll help as much as I can.
Resources to help you plan your dream trip to the Maldives