Discovering the Location of the Maldives on World Map: A Comprehensive Guide. While the answer may seem obvious to some, it’s not always the case. I frequently receive intriguing questions such as “In which country are the Maldives located?” or “Where is Maldives?” and many more. In this article, I aim to provide answers to all of these questions and more. Get ready to delve into a wealth of interesting and useful information
It will be difficult for you to plan your dream trip to Maldives without these websites
Table of Contents
Where is Maldives on world map?
The Maldives is located in the Indian Ocean, just south of India and Sri Lanka. It is an island nation that consists of nearly 1,200 islands, of which only about 300 are inhabited. Its full name is the Maldives Republic or the Republic of Maldives.
Attached is a dynamic map of the Maldives, which you can click, zoom in, and explore in more detail.
All 1,200 islands are of coral origin, meaning that they were formed as a result of coral activity in the ocean. Approximately 90% of the islands have an average size of 500 meters by 1500 meters. Even the capital city of the country is located on an island that measures only 2 by 3 kilometers.
- For even more information about the Maldives, here’s everything a tourist needs to know.
What part of the world does the Maldives belong to: neighbors
This is also a frequent question from tourists traveling to the Maldives for the first time. And even looking at the map, the answer is not always obvious.
Interesting to know:The Maldives is in Asia. As the country is located on the Indian tectonic plate, it is geographically considered to be in Asia.
However, the nearby Seychelles, which are located close to the Maldives, are located on the African tectonic plate, which makes them part of Africa.
Now briefly about the neighbors of the Maldives, as there is nothing much to write here:
- Looking at the Maldives on world map, it is evident that it is an island nation.
- The Maldives does not have any land borders with any other country.
- The Maldives also does not have any maritime borders with any country in the world.
- The Maldives is 100% surrounded by neutral waters.
Good to know:The Maldives do not have neighbors. By neighbors, we understand a common border, sea or land with another country. This is a relatively rare phenomenon, especially in Europe, Africa, Asia. Such countries still exist in Oceania.
The nearest countries to the Maldives are India, about 250 km from the northernmost Maldives atoll, and Sri Lanka, about 350 km from the same atoll.
- You can read all about atolls in the Maldives here.
Interesting geographical facts about the Maldives
Here’s what else you need to know about location of Maldives on world map:
- The Maldives is an archipelago of 26 atolls and is located in the Indian Ocean, near the equator.
- The 26 atolls of the Maldives are scattered over an area of about 90,000 square kilometers, with the total land area of the country being just over 300 square kilometers.
- Most of the country, all the central and northern atolls are in the Northern Hemisphere.
- The capital of the country, the city of Male, is also in the Northern Hemisphere.
- However, the southernmost atoll is in the Southern Hemisphere. It is not very popular with tourists and is difficult to reach, so you are unlikely to cross the equator. But you will be almost on the equator for your vacation.
- A vacation on the equator has its own peculiarities. Here, it doesn’t matter what the air temperature is, it’s the same all year round. The difference between the hottest and coldest months of the year is only 2 degrees. Everyone looks at the ultraviolet index. What this is, where to find it, and when the season is in the article “Weather in the Maldives: What Tourists Need to Know”.
Discover even more interesting facts about the Maldives in the article linked below. Learn about the alcohol ban and the absence of dogs on the islands, among other fascinating information.
The Golden Four paradise resorts of the Indian ocean
The Indian Ocean is renowned for its warm waters, turquoise water, and rich underwater world. Every resort here is a fairy tale and a dream come true, even though it’s not the tropics. The island resorts of the Indian Ocean are often referred to as tropical paradise islands.
And when you look at the Maldives on world map, you will find that it is not the only such paradise resort in this part of the planet. There are many countries with access to the Indian Ocean, and many of them have well-developed tourism. But there is an unofficial ranking: the golden four of the tropical paradise islands of the Indian Ocean.
- The Maldives, how can we forget about them?
- The Seychelles
- Zanzibar Island (Tanzania)
Author’s opinion (me):All four resorts of this ranking are worthy of your attention. To visit all of them is a dream for many. All the resorts are fantastically beautiful. But at the same time, they are all different, with their own unique features. And it’s not a fact that the Maldives is better than the others, as the Maldives have many drawbacks as well.
The article at the link is a comprehensive review, exploring the best places to relax at Indian Ocean resorts, complete with comparisons of all these resorts.
In conclusion: Now you can easily find the Maldives on world map, know about neighbors and that they are not the only paradise islands in the Indian Ocean. And of course, you know where is Maldives located and to which part of the world they belong.
Wishing you a bright holiday in the Maldives!
Resources to help you plan your dream trip to the Maldives