The Dominican Republic is a small country, but the international airports of the Dominican Republic will make up a list of almost 10 operating airfields. All about Dominican airports, airlines, prices in duty free and much more I will tell in this article.
Table of contents:
- Dominican International Airports: General Facts and Development History
- List of Dominican airports: IATA code, location map
- Duty Free in the Dominican Republic, prices and assortment
Dominican Republic International Airports: General Facts
The Dominican Republic is a relatively small country. You can drive it all by car in 4-5 hours. But there are 8 international airports!!! And 7 local.
Such a high development of the aviation industry is caused by the following factors:
- The Republic of Dominican Republic is an island state.
- It can be reached by sea from 2-3 countries: Haiti, Cuba, Puerto Rico. Other possible options to get to the country – only by air.
- The tourist flow (we take pre-coronavirus times) is simply huge. More than 14 million tourists a year, with a population of 10.5 million.
- You can read about Covid-19 in this country in the article: Coronavirus in the Dominican Republic.
All these factors influenced the development of the aviation industry in the country.
List of airports in Dominican Republic
Local airfields will not be considered in this article. Below in the table you will find all international Dominican airports, their codes, and below there will be a map.
|№||Name||IATA||Runway length, m||Nearest city|
|2||La Romana||LRM||2949||La Romana|
|3||Gregorio Luperon||POP||3081||Puerto Plata|
|4||Punta Cana||PUJ||3100||Punta Cana|
|5||El Catey||AZS||3000||Samana Peninsula|
|7||La Isabela||JBQ||1500||Santo Domingo|
|8||Las Americas||SDQ||3355||Santo Domingo|
What can be learned from the table:
- If the runway length is more than 3000m, then by international standards such an airport can accept aircraft of almost any size.
- The IATA code is an internationally unique three-letter code assigned to any international airport.
- Numbers 3,4 and 8 in the table are the most important and busiest airports in the country. And they can receive huge wide-body airliners from all over the world.
But at the same time, these three airports divide the whole world geographically. If you want to fly from Europe to Puerto Plata, then you are unlikely to find such tickets. Since from the cities of Europe almost all planes fly only to Punta Cana and La Romano.
Important:But from Europe there are ready-made charter tours (read direct flight) to the airport of the Samana Peninsula. This is very cool. Links where to buy such tours at the end of the article.
What flights do Dominican airports accept?
Below is an indicative division by country of the world. This does not mean that a flight from Europe cannot arrive at another airport. It can. But in 90% of cases, flights are divided geographically.
- Puerto Plata airport. Located on the north coast (map below). Flights mainly arrive here from: USA, Canada, Caribbean countries, Central America. By the way, proximity to the United States has made the Dominican Republic a popular resort among Americans. Like Egypt, Turkey for Europeans. Therefore, there are daily flights and there are many of them. It is the third busiest airport in the country.
- Las Americas. The main airport of the Dominican Republic. Located 20 km from the capital, Santo Domingo. From this harbor there are flights all over the globe. But the most popular destinations are: Mexico, Brazil, Argentina, all of South and Latin America. As well as the African continent.
- Punta Cana Airport and La Romano. Before Covid, the busiest airport in the country. The main passengers on these flights are from Europe and all over the Old World. Most of the flights are charter flights.
Follow the link for an article about tickets and flights to the Dominican Republic from different cities of the world.
Infrastructure of international airports in the Dominican Republic
The vast majority of international flights to the Dominican Republic arrive at one of these three airports. What is available at each airport:
- Car rental. For example, in Las Americas, there are about 10 counters of international car rental companies. Everything about car rental in this country in a large report at the link.
- Currency exchange. The exchange rate, as in all airports in the world, is not very profitable. We recommend not to exchange the money here. And everywhere in the Dominican Republic you can pay in dollars. Read more about this in the article: currency and money of the Dominican Republic.
- Taxi and public transport.
- And of course, all three have duty-free. About the range and prices will be lower.
Advice:Even at the largest airports in the country, public transport stops running around 18-00. And then you can’t leave here except by taxi. Check the schedule in advance, book transfers, etc. Since hailing a taxi is very expensive here. Links to online transfer are at the end of the article.
International airports of the Dominican Republic: map
Duty free: prices and assortment
About duty free at the international airports of the Dominican Republic, we can say the following:
- The range is not very wide, especially if you want to buy a drink from international manufacturers.
- Wine selection is modest. The whiskey range is better, but many good things are missing. And so on.
- But duty free has a good selection of national souvenirs.
- Rum – the link is everything a tourist needs to know about Dominican rum.
- A complete list: what to bring as a gift from the Dominican Republic in a separate article.
Good to know:If you forgot to buy something as a gift, you can do it at the Dominican airports.
Everything at the airport is very expensive. Prices for alcohol, cigarettes, souvenirs are 2-3 times higher. All this is cheaper to buy just in the shops of the country. Therefore, buy everything in advance, and in the duty free upon departure, when there is no other option, but the thing is very necessary. The photo in the article confirms this.
In conclusion: the international airports of the Dominican Republic meet all international requirements. This is not a tent in the field, as in Zanzibar. The infrastructure is intended to simultaneously receive several major flights. Just decide in advance the issue with the transfer to the hotel, and the rest is not so important.