The problem seems minor, and we do not always think about it. But it can cause a lot of inconvenience. From the article you will learn: what sockets in the Dominican Republic, there will be tips, life hacks and useful information. If you are from the USA, then you don’t have to read further, Dominican Republic plugs are the same. And those who are from Europe need to understand what to be prepared for.
Table of contents:
- Outlet type in the Dominican Republic?
- Where to buy travel adapter for Dominican Republic?
- Tips & Tricks
What sockets in the Dominican Republic
Imagine the situation: after an 11-hour flight you check into a hotel late in the evening. By this time you need:
- charge all mobile phones
- charge tablet/laptop/gopro if available
- plug-in mosquito repeller. By the way, what else to take with you to the Dominican Republic and why, read the link. The mosquito repeller plug is in that list.
If you do not live in the USA, then immediately note that outlet type in Dominican Republic is not the same as in your home. And what to do? At best, you will find an adapter tomorrow, and you need to charge the devices today. Well, you understand why this small issue can become a problem. About time, time zone, changing from daylight saving time to standard time and much more in the article: time in the Dominican Republic.
It is important to know:Outlet type in the Dominican Republic is A and B (same as in US). Type A is flat parallel contacts. Type B – same but with round pin (ground). EU plug cannot be inserted into a Dominican socket in any way. Mains voltage – 110V
What you need to know about this:
- The third round pin in the center on the plug is ground. Any phone charger, camera, etc. work without it.
- All chargers work from 110v to 220v. This means that your charger will work here too. It will just take longer to charge the device, as the mains voltage is lower. In Europe, the voltage is 220V, and in the USA – 110V.
Where to buy travel adapter for Dominican Republic?
On the one hand, these adapters are sold everywhere here, but on the other hand, you won’t find it right away when you need it.
The price of one adapter on average throughout the country is from $0.5 to $1 (about 50 pesos). All about the prices of the Dominican Republic, for all categories of goods and services of interest to travelers.
The adapter can be purchased from the following places:
- boys sometimes run at traffic lights on the roads and offer them to drivers
- in small shops Calmado. Everything about Dominican shops: opening hours, tips, prices.
- sometimes available at grocery stores
- at any point selling mobile accessories, there are not many of them
Interesting to know:But at the same time in Punta Cana, when we urgently needed one such adapter, we spent 3 hours to find it.
Tips & Tricks
- If there is still a month before the trip, you can buy it in any Chinese shop or even online. You can buy several units for $1.
- Take 4-5 units with you.
- My wife and me in the Dominican Republic need at least 4 adapters. 2 for mobile phones. 1 – for laptop. And 1 – for the mosquito repeller plug.
- Often such adapters can be taken at the reception of your hotel. You can even find it in your hotel room or apartment. And in the 5-star hotels, this issue is also much easier to solve. All information about tours to the Dominican Republic is here.
In conclusion: if you don’t know what sockets are in the Dominican Republic, and you don’t have time to look for an adapter, since you are already leaving tomorrow, then don’t look. Find out on the spot. For everyone else, I recommend buying an adapter in advance. How it looks like – in the photo above. And then, upon arrival in the Dominican Republic, you can immediately recharge your gadgets.