In this review article, you will learn more about the cities of Montenegro. I will tell you which of them are the center of attraction for tourists, and which are industrial centers. You will learn about the cities of the coast, there will be a lot of useful information that will help you choose a resort for vacation, for entertainment and more.
Table of contents:
It will be difficult for you to plan your dream trip to Montenegro without these websites
Cities of Montenegro: general information
The history of Montenegro has more than 2000 years. As a result, some cities and architectural buildings are at least 20 centuries old. Details about the history of the country, everything that will be interesting to the tourist, read in a separate article at the link.
Below are a few facts so that you can get an idea about the cities of Montenegro:
- The population of all Montenegro is only 600 thousand people. This is 15 times smaller than London.
- The largest city in Montenegro is its capital, Podgorica, with a population of only about 180 thousand people.
- There are no large metropolitan areas in Montenegro.
- All other cities are much smaller than Podgorica in terms of population.
- More than 82% of the entire territory of the country is occupied by mountains, and the construction of buildings in the mountains is quite problematic. Therefore, all cities are very compact, with narrow streets, problems with parking.
- It is quite difficult in such conditions for parents with small children and people with disabilities.
- Everything about holidays with kids in Montenegro: pros and cons.
Rating of cities in Montenegro: comparative table
Below you will find a table of all major cities in the country. There you will also find out the age of each city and the permanent population of the city. And from the table it will be clear which cities are interesting for tourists, and which are located on the seashore. Reviews of tourist attractions in each city are available via the links. You will also learn how to get there, about accommodation and restaurants.
|City||Founded||Population, thousands||On the coast?||For tourists?||Comment|
|Niksic||4th century BC||58||No||No||Industrial centre|
|Pljevlja||–||25||No||No||On the border with Serbia|
|Herceg Novi||1382||16||Yes||Yes||Bay of Kotor|
|Cetinje||15th century AD||15||No||Yes||The first capital of Montenegro|
|Bar||6th century AD||14||Yes||No||Major transport hub|
|Kotor||168 BC.||14||Yes||Yes||Bay of Kotor|
|Budva||5th century BC||11||Yes||Yes||Adriatic Sea|
|Ulcinj||5th century BC||10||Yes||Yes||Adriatic Sea|
|Tivat||3rd century BC||9,5||Yes||No||Bay of Kotor|
|Perast||3rd century AD||1||Yes||Yes||Bay of Kotor|
|Dobra voda||–||1||Yes||Yes||Adriatic Sea|
|Zabljak||1810||1||No||Yes||In the mountains|
The table shows that not every city on the coast is suitable for vacation. For example Bar: there is a beach and the sea, and there is a promenade. But this is a major transport hub of Montenegro, there is a huge cargo railway terminal, a large port with daily ferries from Italy, and in addition a military base. There are no significant sights in the city and the beach is not the best one.
Cities of Montenegro for seaside holidays
Below is a list of cities that are definitely suitable for tourists for a beach holiday, and they are all on the seashore. I will list them in order: from the north – from Croatia, to the south – to Albania. All these cities are also in the table above, there are also review articles for each city.
I will also add two ratings to each city for your convenience: the rating of beaches and beach holidays on a scale from 1 to 10. As well as the rating of tourist attractions, architecture, the old city, also from 1 to 10.
- Herceg Novi: beaches (5) / attractions (8). So it will be further: the first point – for the beaches, the second – for tourist attractions.
- Perast: 1/8
- Kotor: 3/10
- Tivat: 3/3. The only city in the Bay of Kotor that does not have an old town and a historical part. But there is an international airport 4km away.
- Budva: 6/10
- Becici: 7/2
- Petrovac: 7/7
- Sutomore: 6/2
- Bar: 4/2
- Dobra-Voda: 5/2
- Ulcinj: 9/7
This subjective rating of the author (me) should give you a general idea about the cities of Montenegro. More details about the beaches, resorts, features of each in the article: resorts in Montenegro or where it is better to spend a vacation.
Personal opinion:Of the entire Montenegrin coast, I like the cities of the Bay of Kotor, although there are no good beaches, but they have very beautiful architecture and a medieval atmosphere. I also like Ulcinj more than other towns on the Adriatic Sea. It is a beautiful small hillside town with good beaches. Ulcinj has only one drawback: it takes a long time to get there, since it is located farther than other cities from international airports.
In conclusion: there are cities in Montenegro for every taste. If you want cultural and recreational activities, fortresses and medieval architecture, or you need the sea and the beach, there are such cities. And since the country is small, you can easily travel around Montenegro. If you rent a car, then during the day you will get to any corner of the country.
Resources to help you plan your dream trip to Montenegro
- Flights at the best prices with discounts
- Car rental in Montenegro (cheaper – only by bus):
- Discovery Cars – a large international resource
- LocalRent – work with local rental companies. Leader in car rental in Montenegro.
- Hotels and apartments all over the country: Booking
- Tours, excursions and activities (including extreme ones):
- Comprehensive travel insurance: EKTA
- eSIM virtual sim card with internet in Montenegro
- Taxi and transfers from Montenegro airports: Intui.Travel