Many tourists who plan to visit this country often ask whether the Montenegro in the EU. In short, no, Montenegro is not a member of the European Union. However, some may find it perplexing that the country uses Euro as its official currency. In reality, it’s not as complicated as it seems. Let’s delve deeper into the matter.
Table of contents:
- Types of associations in Europe
- Which associations include Montenegro, and which do not
- Montenegro in the EU. Is the statement correct?
It will be difficult for you to plan your dream trip to Montenegro without these websites
Types of associations in Europe: EU, Schengen, Eurozone, NATO
When tourists ask whether Montenegro in the EU or not, almost all of them mean something completely different at this moment. They want to know if a Schengen visa is needed to enter the country, and what currency is here. And for many people there is no difference between the European Union and the Eurozone at all.
Below I will tell you as simply as possible: everything about Montenegro and its membership. This information will also help you understand the situation in other European countries.
- The European Union (EU) is a political association of 27 European countries. They have a chairman, a parliament. The goal of the EU: a common policy in the economic, social and cultural life of the citizens of their countries.
- Up-to-date information on Wikipedia about the member states of the European Union.
- The Eurozone is a monetary union, which includes 19 countries. EURO is the main currency in these countries.
- Schengen or the Schengen area is a visa union that includes 26 countries. There are no border controls between these countries. There are also uniform visa requirements.
- NATO is a military alliance, which, in addition to most European countries, also includes Canada and the United States.
Which associations include Montenegro, and which do not
And now back to Montenegro. By the way, read the article on the link in detail about Montenegro on the world map, its neighbors and much more. So, this country of the Balkan Peninsula is a member of the following organizations / associations:
- Montenegro is part of the Eurozone. And the official currency in the country is Euro. However, there is one point: officially, Montenegro is an unofficial member of the Eurozone (sorry for the pun).
- This means that Montenegro was not included in the Eurozone, but the country independently recognized the Euro as its national currency.
- For details about money in Montenegro, credit cards, banks, how to pay, read the article: the currency of Montenegro.
- Montenegro is not a member of the European Union. But it is an official candidate for entry. This process is not fast and Montenegro can be in this status for several decades.
- Montenegro is not a member of the Schengen Union. The country has its own visa requirements for entering foreigners.
- As a conclusion: to visit Montenegro it does not matter whether you have a Schengen visa or not.
- Read all about the visa to Montenegro in a separate article. There will also be entry rules and what else is required besides a passport.
Montenegro is a member of the European Union. Is the statement correct?
Now you know exactly the answer to this question. Iw is wrong that Montenegro in the EU, and it is not in the Schengen zone, but it is in the Eurozone. And yes, these are all different things, but very close and interconnected.
Here are some interesting examples of European countries.
Poland:Poland has long been a member of the European Union (EU), and is also part of the Schengen area and NATO. But at the same time, the country has its own currency Zloty, and this country does not even plan to enter the Eurozone.
Switzerland:And Switzerland is not included in any union, except Schengen.
I also recommend reading two articles that will answer many general questions for those who are going to come here:
In conclusion: I hope you have now clarified everything, and there is less confusion. Now the answer to the question: whether Montenegro in the EU or not, is simple and obvious. But often this is not what many are really interested in. Most people want to know exactly about the currency in the country and Schengen visas.
Resources to help you plan your dream trip to Montenegro
- Flights at the best prices with discounts
- Car rental in Montenegro (cheaper – only by bus):
- Discovery Cars – a large international resource
- LocalRent – work with local rental companies. Leader in car rental in Montenegro.
- Hotels and apartments all over the country: Booking
- Tours, excursions and activities (including extreme ones):
- Comprehensive travel insurance: EKTA
- eSIM virtual sim card with internet in Montenegro
- Taxi and transfers from Montenegro airports: Intui.Travel