The main trade and economic partner of Montenegro is located only 200 km across the Adriatic Sea – this is about Italy. From the article you will learn how to get from Montenegro to Italy by ferries, planes and a lot of other useful information.
Table of contents:
- From Montenegro to Italy: general points
- From Montenegro to Italy by plane
- Ferries: from Montenegro to Italy and everything you need to know
- Travel tips
It will be difficult for you to plan your dream trip to Montenegro without these websites
From Montenegro to Italy: general points
As I wrote above, Montenegro and Italy are separated by the Adriatic Sea. There are only 200 km between them. But not everything is so simple. If you decide to travel to Italy by car or bus, your route is shown on the map below.
- Need to cross the border with the EU
- Almost 2000 km to Italian Bari
- Lots of toll roads along the way
- If you go by bus, this journey will take two days, there will be two transfers and you will spend at least 100-150 euros on the road. Also, you need to eat something.
- And if you need to get to southern Italy by car, then the way from Bar to Bari is a day on the road, and about 300-400 euros for gasoline and toll roads.
So it turns out that a plane or a ferry is fast and surprisingly cheap. Therefore, no one drives a 2000 km car. Although at first glance the price of a ferry ticket cannot be called low.
From Montenegro to Italy by plane
Everything is simple here:
- There are two international airports in Montenegro: Tivat and Podgorica.
- Everything about airports in Montenegro, duty free, how to get there and much more.
- How to buy a cheap ticket to Montenegro read here. You will also find out about the best route today.
- Italy is a large country, there are a huge number of airports.
- There is a direct Wizz Air flight from Podgorica to Rome as of 2024. The flight time is only 1.5 hours. Tickets from 10 EUR.
- All other airports can be reached from Montenegro quickly with one short transfer. If you choose good flights, then the whole journey will take you 4-5 hours. Convenient transfers in:
- Through these 4 cities you will fly to any airport in Italy for sure. There are many flights, flights are daily.
Search all tickets on the largest aggregator: Aviasales
Ferries: from Montenegro to Italy and everything you need to know
And now the most difficult topic: ferries to Italy. Before the covid pandemic, there were 2 ferries of different companies running on the Bar-Bari route. Departures were twice a week all year round. The ferry is convenient for travelers in cars, campers, and in general with oversized cargo that you cannot take on a plane.
Good to know:The city of Bar is the largest and only port in Montenegro where international ferries sail. There is also the largest cargo railway terminal in the country. Bar is an important logistics and trade center with Italy.
The pandemic has made big adjustments in two years. Freight ferries are still running. And here is what we have with passenger traffic as of 2024.
- The Montenegrin ferry company Montenegro lines has been closed. The resumption of the ferry to Italian Bari by the summer season of 2024 is being discussed, but so far these are just rumors.
- Their official website: http://www.montenegrolines.com
- Follow the news there, there will be a fresh schedule and current prices.
- Tickets in 2020 cost about 43 euros for a seat and about 65 euros for a sleeper in a cabin. 30 euros was a surcharge for a car.
- Travel time was 7 hours.
- The ferry of the Croatian company Jadrolinija also run on the Bar-Bari route in 2024, once a week, and only in the high season from June to October.
- It is a major Croatian ferry carrier with two dozen routes across the Adriatic.
- In 2024, this route is also stopped.
- Official website: https://www.jadrolinija.hr/en
- Please check there for the current timetable and prices. But prices were about the same as Montenegro lines.
The cost of a ferry trip for two adults with sleeping places in a cabin plus a car was 150-160 euros. It’s cheaper than driving on land and much faster. 7-8 hours and you are fresh and cheerful in Italy.
It’s important to know:On the route Bar – Ancona (Italy) go only freight ferries.
Here is what we have today if you need to get from Montenegro to Italy or back:
- Airplane is a great option and most of the tourists use it. Fast and cheap.
- With ferries, everything is complicated. Once a week and then only in the summer and autumn – this was in 2023.
Below is the main advice on what to do if you need a ferry, but there are none or the dates are not suitable.
Tip:Montenegro is a small country. And the neighbors of Montenegro ferry service with Italy is much better developed. There are much more frequent ferries, and the prices are the same.
The nearest major ports, from where you can sail by ferry to Italy (Bari) and not only:
- Dubrovnik (Croatia): 150 km from Bar
- Durres (Albania): 140 km from Bar.
- And here you will read how cheap and fast to get from Montenegro to Albania.
I hear two different theories often:
- From Montenegro to Italy you need to go shopping for branded items.
- that in Montenegro they sew in factories and deliver all branded items to Italy through the Bar and shopping in Montenegro is no worse.
- All about shopping in Montenegro. Whose side is the truth on, and much more.
In conclusion: the topic “how to get from Montenegro to Italy” is not really difficult, if you look. It is best to fly by plane, and if you need to transport a car or you have a lot of things, then look for ferries from Durres or Dubrovnik 🙂
Resources to help you plan your dream trip to Montenegro
- Aviasales – Cheap Flights and best deals.
- Car rental in Montenegro:
- Hotels and apartments all over the country:
- Tours, excursions and activities (including extreme ones):
- Comprehensive travel insurance: EKTA
- eSIM card in Montenegro
- Taxi and airport transfers: Intui.Travel