One of the most useful articles for any traveler. Find out what prices in Montenegro for different categories of goods and services that tourists are interested in. I’ll tell you about food, alcohol, prices in cafes and restaurants, transport, excursions and much more.
From the article you will find out the prices for:
- alcohol and cigarettes
- fast food and bakery
- car rental, toll roads, parking and gas stations
- taxi and public transport
- accommodation in hotels and apartments
- entrance tickets to attractions
- cafes, taverns, restaurants
All prices in the article will be indicated only in euros. By the way, the euro is the national currency of Montenegro.
- Read everything about money in Montenegro, where to exchange dollars, whether you need cash, how to pay for accommodation, and much more, read the link.
Important to know:The purpose of the article is to give an idea about the price level in Montenegro specifically for travelers. For those who have been living here for a long time, prices for some categories of goods and services may be lower.
It will be difficult for you to plan your dream trip to Montenegro without these websites
Food prices in Montenegro
|Sunflower oil||1 l||2|
|Black olives||1kg||from 5|
|Meat: fresh beef/pork||1kg||8|
|Meat: fresh chicken fillet||1kg||5|
|Sea fish||1kg||from 8|
There are three large grocery supermarket chains in the country: Voli, Franca, Aroma. There are shops of these chains in absolutely every city. The choice of goods and prices are generally the same everywhere. Sometimes there are good promotions for a particular product. Recently, Aroma had prsut for 8 euros per kg – a good price.
- Read everything about shopping, markets and their features in Montenegro at this link.
Prices in Montenegro for alcohol and cigarettes
|Table wine Vranac||1 1||from 2.7|
|Wine Vranac (pro corde)||0.75 1||6|
|Beer in a can, local||0.5 l||~0.7|
|Beer in glass is not available for tourists||–||–|
|Imported beer||0.5 l||from 1|
|Liqueur Gorki List||0.7 l||11|
There are no special problems with alcohol in Montenegro. There is everything your heart desires. Imported alcohol (whiskey, gin, etc.) are expensive, from 20-30 euros a bottle. Anything local is cheap.
- In the article at the link you will find a large overview of Montenegrin alcohol. And you will also find out why tourists cannot buy local beer in a glass bottle 🙂
Prices for Montenegrin fast food
Turkish doners, Greek gyros and other types of fast food are popular in many countries. Montenegro also has its own fast food. Grilled fast food dishes are popular here. In Serbian and Montenegrin, grill is “rostilj”. This is the national Balkan fast food.
I advise everyone to try it, it is very tasty. A lot of grilled meat is put in a pita or a bun.
- For details on what dishes are worth trying, read the article: the national cuisine of Montenegro.
|Gurmanska pljeskavica (with cheese)||250g||3.5|
|Vešalica (pork loin)||200g||3|
|Pomfrit (french fries)||100g||1.5|
|Rolls with fillings||1pc||0.7|
|Burek (puff pastry pies) with meat/cheese/spinach||1pc||1.5|
Also in such cafes you can order a large dish for many eaters – “Mešano meso” – “meat mix”. This is 1 kg of of each type of meat: and Ćevapi, and pljeskavica, and kobasica , and vešalica . The price for a kilo of such grilled meat is usually about 15 euros.
Prices in Montenegro for car rental, toll roads, parking and gasoline
|Name||Volume or period||Price, EUR|
|Car rental (low season)||1 day||from 15|
|Car rental (high season)||1 day||from 25|
|Toll roads||40 km||3|
|Petrol euro-95||1 l||~1.4|
|Paid parking||1 hour||0.3-0.8|
|Paid parking||1 day||from 3|
Paid parking is not in every city. There are many cities with free parking in the center.
Personal opinion of the author (me)A car is needed just like air in Montenegro. It adds a lot of mobility, and even if you took a car for 3 days, you will visit more than two weeks by bus. I believe that there is only one reason why you can refuse to rent a car – you do not have a driver’s license. Everything else is just excuses.
Car rental in Montenegro: affordable, low deposits, quiet traffic, polite drivers. Distances are short, transfers between attractions are also short, the road surface is excellent everywhere. A long article about car rental, where it is cheaper, all the pitfalls, traffic rules, police and so on, read this link.
Prices in Montenegro for taxi and public transport
Quite a small paragraph, since taxis are not very popular with tourists. Guests of Montenegro order a taxi only as a transfer from the airport to the hotel and back.
- All cities in Montenegro are very small. The largest city on the coast – Budva – can be walked from one end of the beach to the other in 30 minutes.
- In cities, taxi services are not very popular with tourists. But if you want, then a trip around the city will cost up to 5 euros.
- From the airport to any coastal resort, a trip will cost you from 30 to 50 euros. Depending on the distance of your vacation spot from the airport.
- There is no single carrier of bus routes in Montenegro. Each direction can be served by its own carrier. But the prices are not high. Bus ticket from Podgorica to Zabljak – 8 euros. Perhaps this is the longest route.
- A bus from Kotor to Budva, for example, costs 4 euros.
In this article, follow the link in detail: about public transport in Montenegro: types, tickets, routes
Prices in Montenegro for accommodation (hotels and apartments)
It is impossible to give a clear number here. Prices can range from “almost free” to “every day champagne bath”.
- Modern apartments with kitchen up to 300m from the beach – 30-40 euros per day.
- The average price of a room in a 3 * hotel is about 40 euros.
- During the high season (in summer) the price may be higher.
- Hotels 4-5 * – from 80 euros.
- The link is an overview article about accommodation in Montenegro for tourists. Find out what features there are, what to be prepared for, which may surprise you, where to look for accommodation.
- And here you will find a rating of the best hotels in Montenegro on the first line by the sea
Prices in Montenegro for entrance tickets to attractions
There is one interesting feature of Montenegro. Be prepared that ticket offices will be everywhere, even to any small tourist attraction. It seems inexpensive everywhere, but the extra 200 euros must be included in the travel budget.
Here is a beautiful chapel, the entrance costs 2 euros. Here is just a room, and inside there is only a model of the old city, pay 0.5 euros and you can see it. But the oldest olive tree, of course, it was surrounded by a fence and they take 1 euro for entry. Although in Montenegro olives are everywhere. You came to the national park to admire the mountain peaks, pay for the entrance to the park itself, and then after 500 meters pay more to go up to the observation deck.
- In general, entrance to all attractions costs from 1 to 3 euros. This is the most common price.
- And the most expensive tickets that I paid, probably – the entrance to the fortress in Kotor. 8 euros per person.
To be fair:A tourist can also find free attractions, there are also enough of them. And the entrance to the old town of any city is always free.
Prices for excursions in Montenegro
In short, there is a huge difference in prices. Programs and excursions are absolutely different. Even the same route may differ in price from different tour companies. Some serve lunch, some have more comfortable buses, and so on.
|Excursion||Price per person, EUR|
|Tour of the Bay of Kotor on a boat / yacht (in group)||from 20|
|Tour of the Bay of Kotor on a boat / yacht (individual)||from 50|
|Yacht charter with captain, full day||~300|
|From Budva to Lovcen Park (in group)||from 20|
|From Budva to Durmitor Park (individual)||from 200|
If the excursion is along the coast and not far from your city, then 20-30 euros is the standard price in a group. If you want to go to Durmitor or the Prokletje mountains, it is better to book individual excursions by car, where prices start from 200 euros per day.
- Details about all the most interesting excursions in Montenegro.
Prices for tours to Montenegro
- Detailed information can be found in the article: tours to Montenegro
- The most common tour for two for 10 days with a flight from London, a 3 * hotel with breakfast. Such a tour will cost about 1000 euros.
- And then the price can increase depending on your wishes.
Do not forget that the all-inclusive system in Montenegro is not really needed. There are thousands of cafes and restaurants where delicious food is served, and portion sizes are very large. And independent tourism in this country is more popular among travelers. The entire infrastructure is developed for independent tourists. And you will find answers to all questions on the pages of this guide.
Prices in Montenegro in taverns, restaurants and cafes
On the first line on the beach, prices are always higher, portion sizes are smaller. If you want to find a good cafe, you need to move further from the beach and from the tourist centers. The menu in all cafes is similar: three types of salad, two types of soup (chorba), four or five grilled dishes, pizza, pasta, risotto.
Below in the table are the average prices in a cafe in Montenegro
|Gril (Ćevapi, pljeskavica)||5-10|
|Fish or other seafood||15|
|Homemade wine, 100g||1|
My wife and I have favorite restaurants. Dinner for two with alcohol costs us about 30 euros. But since the portions are very large, sometimes we order one salad and one main course for two, the cost of such a dinner will be less. But that’s enough for a good meal.
Prices in Montenegro for souvenirs
There are no original Montenegrin souvenirs here. All tourists bring home a standard set:
|T-shirts with Montenegro print||from 8|
|Prsut, kg||from 11|
|Olives, kg||from 5|
|Cheese, kg||from 5|
|Alcohol – prices previously mentioned in the article||–|
Perhaps these were all the most basic prices in Montenegro for services and goods that are of interest to tourists. If something is missing from the list, write in the comments, I will add it.
For a better understanding, I recommend reading the article – Vacation budget in Montenegro for two independent travelers. There you will find out how much money to take with you and in general how much your vacation will cost you.
In conclusion: prices in Montenegro cannot be called high, it is a rather budgetary European country. It is much cheaper here (2-3 times) than in neighboring Croatia. In any case, it is easy to spend a vacation in this country for both budget tourists and in a big way. It all depends on your wallet and desires.
Resources to help you plan your dream trip to Montenegro
- Flights at the best prices with discounts
- Car rental in Montenegro (cheaper – only by bus):
- Discovery Cars – a large international resource
- LocalRent – work with local rental companies. Leader in car rental in Montenegro.
- Hotels and apartments all over the country: Booking
- Tours, excursions and activities (including extreme ones):
- Comprehensive travel insurance: EKTA
- eSIM virtual sim card with internet in Montenegro
- Taxi and transfers from Montenegro airports: Intui.Travel