Taxi in Montenegro is still far behind the service level in Europe or the USA. Companies such as Uber, Lyft, Grabtaxi do not work on the territory of Montenegro. Taxis are old fashioned here. In this article I will tell you where to look for a taxi and transfer in Montenegro, how much it costs, what dangers a tourist can expect and how to avoid them.
Table of contents:
- General points about transfer and taxi in Montenegro
- Transfer from the airport and intercity
- Taxi in Montenegro: prices, rates, where to book
- Travel Tips
It will be difficult for you to plan your dream trip to Montenegro without these websites
General points about transfer and taxi in Montenegro
As I said at the beginning of the article, there is not a single online service or mobile application in the country that we are used to. Here you need to call in the old fashioned way or order a transfer via SMS or messenger in advance. In the high season you have to wait a long time. The taxi industry in Montenegro is 10 years behind the global trends. But maybe things will change in a couple of years.
Good to know:Locals and tourists often use the words taxi and transfer in conversation. For you to understand – there is not much difference. For me it’s the same. The difference is only in the distance: the transfer is usually from the airport to the city or between cities. A taxi – the same car and driver but a trip within the same city.
- If you need a car to go from Budva to Kotor or meet you at the airport, then this is a transfer.
- And if you want to go by car to a restaurant not far from home in the evening, then this is a taxi.
Important:There are three ways to order a taxi in Montenegro: each service has a website, you can also call or write a message on Viber. In Montenegro, locals use Viber, everyone has this application on their phone.
- All about the Internet and mobile communications in Montenegro: operators, rates, where to buy a SIM card. If you plan to use a taxi, you will definitely need a local SIM card.
And some other useful information you need to know. Taxi in Montenegro is a licensed activity. But at the same time, there are a lot of illegal carriers in the country that do not stand out in any way. It’s cheaper to ride official taxis, but there are more illegal taxi drivers, and it’s easier to catch them. They are always in places where there are a lot of tourists.
And in Montenegro there is no single service that would work throughout the country with a single number. There are many small taxi services in every city and region. There are only one international aggregator here that have been able to combine several services into one. And 2 more services that are definitely available in large cities. All links and numbers will be below.
Transfer from the airport and between cities
There are two international airports in Montenegro: Tivat and Podgorica. The distances from them to the sea are small: less than 50 km.
Good to know:If you need a transfer from the airport to your hotel or you are looking for a car to move from one city to another then use international services. Prices are affordable, meet and greet, you need to book for a certain time at least a day in advance. It’s better than looking for a taxi and haggling on site.
- Intui.travel – an international aggregator that cooperates with local taxi services. It specializes in meeting at the airport and trips between cities.
It is important to understand that this is not a taxi, but a transfer service. All current prices from the airport Tivat and Podgorica, see the links above.
Taxi in Montenegro: prices, tariffs, where to book
And in this small chapter I will tell you about taxi services around the city, average prices and where to book.
The most popular and largest taxi services are:
- EcoTaxi is a 24/7 service. Call phone: +382 690 19567 (Viber). They are also Taxi Budva. You can place an order on the website: taxibudva.com
- Terrae-Taxi is a well-known local taxi service. Call phone: +382 67 178 888 (Viber and WhatsApp).
- Taxi-Travel is the largest local taxi service, operating almost all over Montenegro. Call phone: +382 699-49-197. You can place an order on the website: https://taxi-travel.me/
Important:Do not forget that in a taxi you may be asked to wear a mask. All about covid, restrictions and where to do a PCR test, if necessary, read the link.
Briefly about taxi prices in Montenegro. The most standard prices are: 1-2 euros / load and 1 euro / km. A 10 km trip should cost around 11-12 euros. But during the high season in July and August, taxi prices are higher and in winter they can be lower. Therefore, on average – 1 euro / km.
Here are a few tips to help you save both time and money. Don’t overlook them:
- All taxi drivers must have a price list in a conspicuous place in the car.
- If you hail a taxi on the road, always discuss the price right away to your final destination. Especially true when your driver is an illegal taxi driver.
- Very often there are cases when instead of for example 40 euros for a trip, a tourist paid 100 euros.
- Montenegro is a safe country. Here they can overcharge a tourist, but no one will take you to the mountains to rob. Everything about safety in Montenegro and what tourists need to know.
- Try to bargain if you hail a taxi on the road. Because when ordering through the website or by phone, there will definitely be no bargaining.
Interesting to know:Taxi drivers in Montenegro do not like to carry more than three passengers. Almost all taxi services when ordering always ask how many people will be. If more than two, then there may even be a surcharge. And do not forget to indicate the children so that a car with a child seat arrives.
In conclusion: the transfer and taxi industry in Montenegro is 10-20 years behind. There are a lot of small carriers, a lot of competition, little government control. There are no international players in the market here. But at the same time, it is absolutely safe and affordable for a tourist to travel by taxi in Montenegro. The main thing is to follow the tips above.
Resources to help you plan your dream trip to Montenegro
- Flights at the best prices with discounts
- Car rental in Montenegro (cheaper – only by bus):
- Hotels and apartments all over the country: Booking
- Tours, excursions and activities (including extreme ones):
- Comprehensive travel insurance: EKTA
- eSIM virtual card in Montenegro
- Taxi and transfers from Montenegro airports: Intui.Travel